The Newsletter

The monthly newsletter for the First Presbyterian Church of Spring Hill, Tennessee.

November 2014

From David's Desk

I want y’all to know that I am proud of the effort the congregation has made to support the programs of the church over the last year. I know that folks worry that we are too small or two “mature,” but when you see how shaky some of the bigger churches are and how much debt they have taken on in order to maintain their size, I think we are in pretty good shape and poised for a sustainable future. There are some things we would like to do that might appeal to some of the younger families like starting a “children’s church” or getting a youth group going again and we’re working toward these things, but we are in the enviable position of moving forward without the anxiety of having to “grow or die.” There is one thing I would like to see us do that might feed the preacher’s vanity – that would be for all of us to come together on Sunday so that there aren’t so many empty spaces. Please note Pledge Dedication on Nov. 9; your pledges help the Session to plan for the upcoming year, and measure our financial help throughout the year. Also note the Congregational Meeting on the 16th; the proposed budget will be presented and we will be electing a Nominating Committee.

Yours in Christ,

David

Prayer List

Please keep our sick and shut-ins in your prayers: Billie Galloway, Liz Jacobs, Margarette Marsden, Juanita Roberts, Frankie Sims, Jim Victory, and Jean Webster.

Keep the Hicks family in your prayers; Norma’s sister, Jean Critchlow, died following a long illness.

Congregational Meeting

There will be a Congregational Meeting on Sunday, November 16; the purpose for the meeting is twofold: 1. The approval of the 2015 budget. 2. The election of 3 people from the congregation to serve with the 3 Elders rotating off Session as the Nominating Committee. The Committee will present a slate of nominees at a future meeting.

PW News

Many thanks to the congregation for its donations and help putting on the Flea Market; it was a great success even though the weather didn’t cooperate.

Here are some upcoming PW events:

  • Nov. 12 – the Birthday Outing, meet at Logan’s in the Crossing at 11:30.
  • Nov. 23 – The PW Thank Offering: 40% of the proceeds go to health programs, the other 60% are given out as program grants; one of which is a transportation ministry in Nashville.
  • Nov. 24 – PW Bible study in Fellowship Hall, all women are invited.
  • Dec. 10 – Birthday Outing to the Grecian Pizza restaurant; bring items for 10 gift baskets for shut-ins.
  • Dec. 14 – Bake Sale to support our nursery worker; donated items can be dropped off on the 13th, 1:00-3:00.

Pledge Sunday

On Sunday, Nov. 9 we will dedicate the pledges received from the congregation to support the 2015 budget. You are encouraged to pledge so that the Session can better plan the programs of the church and gauge the church’s financial health throughout the year. On the 9th a brief summary of the 2015 proposed budget will be provided along with pledge forms; if you haven’t already filled out a pledge form please do so on November 9. As always, your pledge and your giving is held in the strictest confidence by Gayle Alley, our Treasurer.

Guess Who

October's "Guess Who?" – Gina Campbell

November's "Guess Who?"

  • My birthday is this month.
  • You don’t see me as much as you used to; it’s just a little harder getting out.
  • When I am able to come to Worship I sit with my daughter and son-in-law.
  • Though I moved from Michigan I am a Kentuckian by birth.
  • My great grandson is a star pupil in the church’s Fun and Play School.
  • My name combines a blond bombshell and dictionary writer.